[MITgcm-support] global 4deg verification

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Mon Jan 24 02:44:26 EST 2005

I may add, that you, if you are using anything later than release1, you
could use a 2day  tracer timestep for even faster timestep, that is,
for asynchronous (tracer accelerated) integration use deltaTmom = 1200,
deltaTtracer=deltaTfreesurf=deltatclock=172800, and for synchronous
timestepping use 3600 for all (deltaT=3600 works even for a two degree
configuation).
For "true" equilibrium, run in asynchronous mode until the T/S-drift is
negligible and then run in synchronous mode for another 30years to
recover the seasonal cycle.

Bryan was the first to introduce the tracer acceleration:
Bryan, K., and L.J. Lewis, 1979: A water mass model of the world ocean.
J. Geophys. Res., 84(C5), 2503-2517.
Bryan, K., 1984: Accelerating the convergence to equilibrium of
ocean-climate models. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 14, 666-673.

BTW, Jean-Michel has implemented deep tracer acceleration
(dTtracerLev(1:Nr) replaces  deltaTtracer), but so far there isn't any
example experiment that you can start from, as far as I know.

Martin