[MITgcm-support] lateral boundary conditions

sju at eos.ubc.ca sju at eos.ubc.ca
Tue Jan 18 20:28:37 EST 2005

Dear support group,

I have a doubt about the discretization of the lateral no-slip condition.
In the documentation
(http://mitgcm.org/pelican/online_documents/node57.html) says that the
discretization is not complete because it assumes that the bathymetry at
velocity points is deeper than at neighboring vorticity points. My
questions is then:

What is the geometry of the side-drag and what does it do if the velocity
point is shallower than the vorticity point?

I hope someone can help me understand this issue. I am modeling a
submarine canyon and the walls/slopes are really important for me.

Thanks,

Sergio Jaramillo