[MITgcm-support] state vector of MIT model

samar khatiwala spk at ldeo.columbia.edu
Fri Jan 14 12:16:13 EST 2005

Hello

I am trying to make a list of the variables that define the state space
of the MIT model. That is, I want to (notionally) write the model as:

dx/dt = F(x) + external forcing

where x(t) is the state vector.

Assuming the model is hydrostatic, so far I have the following in x:

   uVel,vVel,wVel,theta,salt,pressure

Do I also need eta, or is that only if I have a nonlinear free surface?
What about pressure? Is is strictly necessary, or can it be determined
(in principle) from the other variables?
Can someone please tell me if I am missing anything?

Thanks, Samar