[MITgcm-support] heat flux components

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 10 23:48:11 EST 2005

Mike,

not sure whether anyone replied?

Qnet is indeed total net heat flux, but upward, i.e.
C     Qnet  :: Net upward surface heat flux (including shortwave) in W/m^2
C              Qnet = latent + sensible + net longwave + net shortwave
C              > 0 for decrease in theta (ocean cooling)
C              Typical range: -250 < Qnet < 600
C              Southwest C-grid tracer point
(see model/inc/FFIELDS.h)

Sensible and latent heat fluxes are currently not saved, unfortunately.
They are local variables, living in pkg/exf/exf_bulkformulae.F
sensible: hs(...), latent: hl(...)
It's a good suggestion to diagnose/save them,
and on the to-do list now.

-Patrick

On Thursday 10 February 2005 09:35, Mike Spall wrote:
  > I am running the mitgcm with external forcing, specifying
  > downward long and short wave, specific humidity, air temp,
  > and wind speed.  I am also using the ice model.  Is there
  > an option for the model to save the individual components of
  > surface heat flux (e.g. latent, sensible)?  What is the
  > variable Qnet that is saved?  Is that the total, net heat
  > flux into the ocean?
  >
  > Thanks once again,
  > Mike

Patrick Heimbach     Massachusetts Institute of Technology
FON: +1/617/253-5259                    EAPS, Room 54-1518
FAX: +1/617/253-4464               77 Massachusetts Avenue
mailto:heimbach at mit.edu                 Cambridge MA 02139
http://www.mit.edu/~heimbach/                          USA