[MITgcm-support] since we are talking about mnc...

Nicolas Wienders wienders at ocean.fsu.edu
Thu Dec 15 14:46:26 EST 2005

Hi all,
We have a version of mitgcm that we used to run on Mac Os X,
that i just ported on a AMD64.
Compiling on the new platform using a new opt file wasn't too
much trouble until a added mnc in the list of packages.
Here is the error message i am now getting:

cat mnc_cw_cvars.F | ../../../tools/set64bitConst.sh |  cpp  -
traditional -P -D_BYTESWAPIO -DWORDLENGTH=4 -DHAVE_SYSTEM -
DHAVE_FDATE -DHAVE_ETIME -DHAVE_CLOC -DHAVE_STAT  -I/usr/include -I/
usr/include/hdf > mnc_cw_cvars.f
g77 -Wimplicit -Wunused -Wuninitialized -O3 -funroll-loops -c
mnc_cw_cvars.f
mnc_cw_cvars.f: In subroutine `mnc_cw_write_cvar':
mnc_cw_cvars.f:3975:
            err = NF_DEF_VAR(fid, cvname, NF_DOUBLE,
                  ^
Invalid declaration of or reference to symbol `nf_def_var' at (^)
[initially seen at (^)]
mnc_cw_cvars.f:3975:
            err = NF_DEF_VAR(fid, cvname, NF_DOUBLE,
                                          ^
Invalid declaration of or reference to symbol `nf_double' at (^)
[initially seen at (^)]
mnc_cw_cvars.f:3981:
            err = NF_PUT_VARA_DOUBLE(fid, vid,
                  ^
Invalid declaration of or reference to symbol `nf_put_vara_double' at
(^) [initially seen at (^)]
mnc_cw_cvars.f:3834: warning: unused variable `vid'
mnc_cw_cvars.f:3834: warning: unused variable `j'
make: *** [mnc_cw_cvars.o] Error 1

Our version of the pkg/mnc is quite old (checkpoint_o) but we can't
update much since
we have a "home-made" package that we use that needed to do many
modifications in
the mnc routines (new variables, etc...).

Is there any way this error we are getting at the compilation could
be solved just
keeping our old mnc version?

Thanks a lot.