[MITgcm-support] mnc questions

Michael Schaferkotter (Contractor) Michael.Schaferkotter at nrlssc.navy.mil
Thu Dec 15 14:08:04 EST 2005

just starting to experiment with mnc output.
i notice that the output gets dumped to an .nc file for all variables and all times.
for large domains and/or long simulations, the files could easily get to be >> large.
i don/t see an option for dumping the output as one variable per timestep as in the *.data, *.meta dump pair.

in my domain of interest each output variable *.data file is about 220MB. for an hourly dump of a daily run, that/s at least
8GB. in the past we/ve had troubles with .nc files > 2GB (this may or may not still be the case).

is there a way to enable dumping into .nc format with one variable per timestep?

m. r. schaferkotter