[MITgcm-support] sponge layer

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 15 06:51:47 EST 2005

David,

the 3-dim. relaxation code checked in a few days ago
is independent of the obcs code.

My understanding is, this code would come in handy for what you
need, if you could use a spatially varying relax. constant,
since it would enable you to mimic an extended sponge layer
(not just relaxed to a 2-d slice, but to an extended 3-d strip),
and suppress relaxation where tau(i,j,k) is zero
(the checked-in code does allow for interpolation in time).
Is this correct?
Well, if so, should be easy to do.

-Patrick