[MITgcm-support] numerical stability criteria

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 31 12:54:48 EDT 2005

Hi David,

Nothing is wrong....these stability formulae are guidelines.  What you
are seeing is that the chosen scales and the chosen constants appended
to the formulae are not exactly accurate for every problem.  The
stability parameters give you a first guess at dt (and let you see what
the model is most sensitive too).  Through trial and error you can push
these stability limits, in a sense to discover the true scaling in the
model.

I will just explain question (1), but the same goes for 2 and 3

1)  what is a stable dt for horizontal Laplacian friction?
Well if friction diffuses momentum (in a sense accelerates it) faster
than the model can time step it....a shock can occur.  This is a very
lame hand wavy explanation....I know there is a rigorous mathematical
way of showing this but I can't remember it right now (Alistair, where
did your teaching website go!).  Anyway, this is the basic idea.  So one
tries to estimate the order of the diffusion by scaling the horizontal
Laplacian as 1/X/X.   And we then choose the grid spacing to be X which
makes great sense in a numerical finite difference problem.  Then it's
assumed that one must keep 1/dt > Ah/X/X.  Through trial and error, a
safe level below this value is determined and the result is the formula
in the manual.

What you have found is that in some problems the magnitude of Laplacian
diffusion (and other things) is less than the value chosen from basic
finite-difference scaling.  Thus, it is safe to increase dt.

I know this is a rather incomplete explanation (and I really hope its
accurate)....anyway, its the basic idea as to why these stability
parameters are not set in stone, rather they are guidelines.

hope this helps,
Matt