[MITgcm-support] Re: Starting with MITgcm

Nicolas Wienders wienders at ocean.fsu.edu
Fri Aug 19 11:34:55 EDT 2005

> MITgcm input files are mostly raw binary files written at either 32bit
> (REAL*4) or 64-bit (REAL*8) precision.

Hi all,
When you say either, which variables are supposed to be written in
32 bit and which ones in 64 bits? We just spent an afternoon trying
to find out why our topo files when not taken into account correctly,
and the answer was that we were writting them in REAL*8 instead
of REAL*4...

But some gendata.m scripts writes topo in REAL*8, so what to believe?

By the way i agree with Matej, it is not obvious to find out which
format
should have the input files. The gendata.m give a precious but sparse
information. It is also not obvious what are the different input
files possible.
A list of the different options (wind speed, wind stress, topo, ....)
would
be very useful.

Thanks a lot, have a nice week-end.

--

Nicolas Wienders                   (850) 644-1987 (office)
Oceanography - OSB415                294-3542 (cell)
Tallahassee, FL - 32306    wienders at ocean.fsu.edu