[MITgcm-support] useOBCSsponge

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at MIT.EDU
Sun Aug 14 23:16:14 EDT 2005

Hi Dmitri,

I have used sponge layers in hydrostatic runs without any problems.

Actually, I don't think (as the model is currently coded) you can
prescribe W on the open boundary for non-hydrostatic runs.  I would
think the model would crash at runtime if you tried; there is no W file
name in obcs_readparms.F

      NAMELIST /OBCS_PARM01/
     &          OB_Jnorth,OB_Jsouth,OB_Ieast,OB_Iwest,
     &          useOrlanskiNorth,useOrlanskiSouth,
     &          useOrlanskiEast,useOrlanskiWest,
     &          OBNuFile,OBNvFile,OBNtFile,OBNsFile,
     &          OBSuFile,OBSvFile,OBStFile,OBSsFile,
     &          OBEuFile,OBEvFile,OBEtFile,OBEsFile,
     &          OBWuFile,OBWvFile,OBWtFile,OBWsFile,
     &          useOBCSsponge, useOBCSbalance, useOBCSprescribe

It actually appears that W on the open boundary is set to zero in
non-hydrostatic runs.  I am not sure why the model forces W to zero on
the boundaries and maybe someone else can fill us in.  I am guessing
there is some technical reason or I have missed something and am just
wrong about this.

After thinking about it, I don't think forcing w=0 on open boundaries is
extremely significant in ocean modeling.  It is definitely not the most
realistic way to deal with the boundary; you are correct that it may
cause sharp gradients in W.  But whether these unphysical gradients are
significant is another question.  For ocean modeling with reasonable
surface forcing, large W values are likely only to occur in regions near
solid boundaries where vorticity generated by the vortex stretching
associated with the vertical velocity can be dissipated, or in fronts
where the isopycnals are steeply inclined.  If the model adequately
resolves these boundary and frontal regions, unphysical gradients may
have a large effect.  Open boundaries, however, occur mostly in the open
ocean (and hopefully not in fronts) where it is likely that W is small.
If W is small next to the open boundary, a zero W on the open boundary
is likely insignificant.  If the sponge layer is causing W and W
gradients to be significant in the ocean interior, I would guess the
prescribed open boundary condition is not very physical.  Perhaps this
is why noone has taken the time to find a way to calculate (restore) W
in open boundary (sponge layer) regions.  Just a guess.  Of course, I do
not know what experiment you are running.  Are you doing something where
W is significant near your open boundary and needs to be prescribed?  If
so, I think you will need to do some coding and i hope someone else can
advise you on the best way.

-Matt