[MITgcm-support] MNC pickup files

Jason Goodman jgoodman at whoi.edu
Tue Aug 2 12:40:03 EDT 2005

Is there any special trick to restarting MITGCM using MNC-created
NetCDF pickup files?  I copied the files from the MNC output
directories into the main run directory:

-rwx------   1 goodmanj  admin  14562188 Aug  2 11:06 pickup.
0000004000.0000.000001.nc*
-rwx------   1 goodmanj  admin  14562188 Aug  2 11:06 pickup.
0000004000.0000.000002.nc*
-rwx------   1 goodmanj  admin  14562188 Aug  2 11:06 pickup.
0000004000.0000.000003.nc*
-rwx------   1 goodmanj  admin  14562188 Aug  2 11:06 pickup.
0000004000.0000.000004.nc*
-rwx------   1 goodmanj  admin  14562188 Aug  2 11:06 pickup.
0000004000.0000.000005.nc*
...19 more...

I and am using this data.mnc file:

&MNC_01
# mnc_echo_gvtypes=.FALSE.,
mnc_use_indir=.FALSE.,
mnc_use_outdir=.TRUE.,
mnc_outdir_str='output_',
mnc_outdir_date=.FALSE.,
# monitor_mnc=.FALSE.,
snapshot_mnc=.TRUE.,
timeave_mnc=.FALSE.,
pickup_write_mnc=.TRUE.,
pickup_read_mnc=.TRUE.,
&

Timestepping in the "data" file is as follows:

&PARM03
nIter0=4000,
nTimeSteps=5000,
deltaT=2454,
abEps=0.1,
pChkptFreq=2454000,
chkptFreq=1227000,
dumpFreq=61350,
monitorFreq=12270,
&

The model run fails with 24 errors like this:
PGFIO-F-219/formatted write/internal file/attempt to read/write past
end of record.
In source file MNC_CW_READWRITE_RL.f, at line number 6471

24-processor Linux cluster build, using Infiniband, MVAPICH, PGIF90
and GCC.

I've noticed that the "ckptA" pickup file is twice the size of the
dated permanent checkpoints, and includes two timesteps worth of data.