[MITgcm-support] staggerTimeStep and advection scheme

samar khatiwala spk at ldeo.columbia.edu
Fri Apr 29 15:05:56 EDT 2005

Hi Jean-Michel

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Jean-Michel Campin wrote:

> Nothing has changed since 21 Sep 2004, and regarding staggerTimeStep,
> I would recommend to look at the documentation since this part
> has been updated in October 2004.

Thanks for pointing me to the documentation. It clarified many things
for me, in particular the ever more convoluted calling sequence. But
(unfortunately for you), not all.

I am still trying to reconcile what you said about using staggertimestep
with certain advection schemes. In particular, if the primary purpose is
to deal with the internal wave stability criterion, can this flag be safely
turned OFF when using adams-bashforth timestepping? I realize this may not
have a simple or short answer, but for people like me who are clueless
about numerical methods, could you suggest a "rule of thumb" for when
this flag should be used and when not.

(Think of this as an entry in a future "MITgcm for dummies" book.)

Apologies for being so dense.

Samar