[MITgcm-support] Package global_ocean.cs32x15

Entcho Demirov entcho at physics.mun.ca
Thu Apr 28 15:22:30 EDT 2005

Hi Steph, Ed et al.

I try to activate global_ocean.cs32x15 package on an alpha_linux_g77
computer. I use the standard packages.conf file in the code
subdirectory to generate Makefile and to compile the code. I have
tried to work with the both OPTFILES g77 and g77+mpi and got one
the same problem.

The run crashes already at the initialization step giving an error
"Floating Exception". Since this kind of errors may occur everywhere,
I have tried to trace where the model stops. I have found that the
problem is related with the initialization of the the cubed-sphere
grid in

file exch2_send_rs2.F

Subroutine EXCH2_SEND_RS2,

  line 146-147

           val1=sa1*array1(isl,jsl,ktl)
      &       +sa2*array2(isl,jsl,ktl)

It looks like that in all of the calls to this subroutine,
array1 and array2 are not initialized. Correspondingly the
value of val1 may vary from very small (O(1.e-100)) to very
large values (O(1.e300)). However the problem with the run
occurs only when the value of one of these arrays is NaN,
which produces the floating exception.

Do you have an idea how I may work around this problem?

Thanks

Entcho

  Entcho Demirov                      e-mail: entcho at physics.mun.ca
  Physics and Physical Oceanography   Phone:  709-737-8834
  Memorial University
  St. John's, Newfoundland A1B 3X7    Fax:    709-737-8739