[MITgcm-support] staggerTimeStep and advection scheme

samar khatiwala spk at ldeo.columbia.edu
Wed Apr 27 22:14:41 EDT 2005

Hi Jean-Michel et al

I am completely baffled by the staggerTimeStep flag.

Several months ago I had asked a question about advection schemes (see
attached email below). Jean-Michel said something about staggerTimeStep
not directly influencing ptracers but influences via changes in advection
velocity. So now I don't know what to make of these lines in
ptracers_integrate:

        IF (staggerTimeStep) iterNb = myIter - 1
        CALL ADAMS_BASHFORTH2( ... iterNb ...)

Has this aspect of the algorithm changed?

I thought I had understood what JMC was saying (see previous thread
below), but looking at the code I am more mystified than ever. In
particular:

1) When and for what quantities is staggerTimeStep used (or should be
   used)?
2) Is it used only for active tracers (T/S) and velocity?
3) Is it only used for advection schemes 77,33,30?
4) Does it get turned off when adams bashforth is used, since my
   understanding is that it is there for internal wave stability.
   (I don't see this being done in the code, though.)
   In which case, why is it used for ptracers?

Thanks very much! Samar