[MITgcm-support] Make depend error

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Apr 26 20:34:42 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 17:16 -0700, Don Stark wrote:
> Ok,
> I've borrowed a hello.f and compiled it with f77 -o hello hello.f -lmpi and
> I've run it with mpirun -np 2 hello and it runs. How does this tell me more
> about the libraries and headers?

Thats good news.  It means that the MPI headers and libs are probably
placed in "standard" locations so that you don't have to add them with
INCLUDES or LIBS variables.

And you say that you've built an MPI version of MITgcm without any
compile errors?  If so, you are probably on to the final stage which is
to make sure that your input files are all in order.  Please note that
three things must all match or you will have to re-compile the entire
model:

 1) the size of your domain and number of MPI processors as
    specified in SIZE.h

 2) the size of your input files

 3) the number of MPI processors that you specify with the
    "-n num" option to mpirun.

So, are you certain that all three of those are consistent?

Note that, for the "MITgcm/verification/exp2" example, you will probably
want to use the 2-processor version of the SIZE.h file:

  MITgcm/verification/exp2/code/SIZE.h_mpi

instead of the default 1-processor version:

  MITgcm/verification/exp2/code/SIZE.h

when you build the model.  This is easy enough to do by using the
SIZE.h_mpi file to overwrite the SIZE.h file.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307