[MITgcm-support] Make depend error

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Apr 26 16:44:02 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 13:20 -0700, Don Stark wrote:
> Ed,
> I can get the cde to compile and run without MPI using opton (2), but when
> I switch on the MP, I get a run time error - "STOP ABNORMAL END: PROGRAM
> MAIN statement executed." I've captued what the code displays to the screen
> below.
>
> >  2) if (1) doesn't work, please try delting (or commenting out)
> >     the line:
> >
> >       MAKEDEPEND=makedepend
> >
> >     from your optfile and see if that woks.
> >
> > Ed
> anacapa (48)% mpirun -np 2 ./mitgcmuv > dat
> STOP ABNORMAL END: PROGRAM MAIN statement executedSTOP ABNORMAL END: PROGRAM MAIN statement executed

Hi Don,

I'm glad you've got MITgcm running in non-MPI-mode.  Thats a good first
step.  And, if you would, please send us the optfile that you used since
it would be nice to share!

So, whats happening with your MPI runs?  I really don't know and its
very hard to understand (or even guess) what the problems are without
access to your machine.  So, since I cannot access your machine, please
try the following:

 1) Can you create a small "hello world"-type MPI programs that
    compile and run?  This is a very important first step!
    Most MPI problems have nothing to do with MITgcm per se.
    They are usually problems with the setup or use of MPI.  And
    most MPI implementations (eg. LAM and mpich) come with simple
    example programs that you can use to test your setup.

 2) Once you have proven to yourself that MPI is properly setup
    (by successfully building and running some simple codes),
    then try MITgcm.  And start with your non-MPI optfile (which
    you know to be working) and add the few MPI-specific changes
    (which will usually be the MPI header and library information).

Its much easier to debug things if you can break them into more
manageable parts!

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD