[MITgcm-support] changing rSphere

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Apr 15 11:24:51 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 21:17 -0500, Jonathan Mitchell wrote:
> Hmm, this is something I haven't learned about yet.  Is there
> documentation on these "tile*.mitgrid" files?

Hi Jonathan,

In all sincerity, the amount of useful help folks get on this list is
roughly proportional to the useful info they provide *us*.

So, again, are you using a cubesphere grid?  If so, I'll point you
towards tools that you can use to scale the grid quantities (that is,
the pre-computed lengths and areas) with the planetary radius.

And if you're not using a cubesphere grid, then you should look for
other reasons why the model blows up.  Perhaps one or more of the
stability criteria scale with the planetary radius?  Or perhaps your
initial conditions become increasingly unreasonable (violate the CFL
limit) as you change the radius?

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD