[MITgcm-support] changing rSphere

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Apr 14 21:02:03 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 16:42 -0500, Jonathan Mitchell wrote:

> I'm able to change planetary parameters for all but the radius of the
> planet, "rSphere", which if I set below 3500 km, the model produces
> NaNs (but doesn't stop running).  Any suggestions?

Hi Jonathan,

Are you using a cubesphere grid?  If so, are you scaling some of the
necessary grid quantities (lengths, areas) in accordance with the
planetary radius?  We have sample MatLAB scripts in CVS that you can
readily modify to read, write, and scale these "tile*.mitgrid" files if
needed.

The more senior MITgcm developers (eg. Alistair, Chris, Jean-Michel, and
Patrick) have a better grasp on the numerics and perhaps one of them can
suggest other things to check?  Please?  ;-)

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307