[MITgcm-support] periodic boundary conditions in X, walls in Y

chris hill cnh at mit.edu
Wed Sep 29 13:01:22 EDT 2004

Jeff/Jane,

 Jeff - how big are the overshoots/undershoots and which advection
scheme are you using? With the default centered second order scheme
there can be numerical extrema. These are controlled by using numerical
diffusion with that scheme. There are other advection scheme options
where extrema do not occur, however, these have less well defined
implied diffusion.

 We have a couple of more experienced users doing channel runs. I have
mailed them to see if they would be willing to do a modest amount of
mentoring for you guys.

Chris