[MITgcm-support] icebergs

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Wed Sep 29 09:24:16 EDT 2004

Hi,

we are trying something interesting: Have an iceberg float in a domain.
As a first step we want to have a stationary iceberg that melts at a
constant rate: specify fresh water flux and pressure load. Later there
may be a "real" iceberg model that drifts and melts according to a
realistic equation of state.
In a sigma model this would be simple, with the toplayer always being
beneath the iceberg. What about the z*-coordinate? From the
Adcroft+Campin2004 paper I don't see any real limitations on the size
of the depression of the free surface. Am I right? Could I place an
iceberg with a draught of, say, 200m (with delZ<<200m) into a basin by
specifying the pressure load p=2000000Pa? What parameter setting would
I need?
nonlinFreeSurf=4,
exactConserv=.true.,
select_rstar=2,
?

Finding the initial conditions may be a problem.
I have not quite understood how the free surface Eta should be
interpreted in such an experiment.

Any opinions?