[MITgcm-support] advection scheme for T/S

samar khatiwala spk at ldeo.columbia.edu
Fri Sep 24 10:13:45 EDT 2004

Hi Jean-Michel and Martin:

I turned on staggertimestep according to your suggestion. For my
configuration I get practically identical results with this flag ON or
OFF (and tempAdvScheme=30). Incidentally, I only have one active tracer
(T; sBeta=0 and there is no forcing of S) and strong mixing was not the
problem (in comparison with ABII). Indeed, I would say that with DST3 I
get less mixing so the internal wave instability problem was not
of any consequence. So I still don't understand why the steady solution
is so different for the two schemes. Its a bit disconcerting.

Samar