[MITgcm-support] obcs and linear free surface

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Thu Sep 23 08:40:54 EDT 2004

Hi there,
I have another question about the OBCS-package:
I use a linear free surface and observe that the variable eta along the
open boundary is not what I expect it to be. In particular there is a
strong discontinuity between boundary value and interior and I have the
impression that this discontinuity develops first in eta and then in
the verlocities. Of course, I cannot expect this transition to be
perfectly smooth, but on the other hand the pressure solver should, in
principle, produce smooth solutions. So here's my question to those you
have a little more overview over OBCS than I have: Is eta=ssh directly
influenced by the open boundaries other than by means of a changed
velocity field? I can't find any place where this could happen. (I am
only talking aboth the LINEAR free surface.)

blue-eyed,