[MITgcm-support] A question about genmake2

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Sep 21 23:18:31 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 11:53, song_jie at mail.iap.ac.cn wrote:
> Hello everyone:
> I am a chinese student.I get a problem about genmake2,when I typing
> genmake2 in my computer the screen shows that:
> bash: ./genmake2:/bin/bash:bad interpreter: Permission denied
> what is this meaning?
> I was going to crazy help me please!
> Thank you
> song jie
> 2004.9.22

Hi Song Jie,

Looks like a shell (inability to find the specified interpreter)
problem.  It should have been fixed about two months ago when genmake2
stopped using an explicit /bin/bash declaration.  Could you please try a
newer version of MITgcm?

And if you still get errors, please try explicitly specifying the
interpreter such as:

 $ sh ../../../genamke2 -mods=../code

and then, if that still doesn't work, send us the following info:

 1) the version(s) that you're using (please see the top of
    "MITgcm/doc/tag-index" and the top of "MITgcm/tools/genmake2"
    to find the CVS info)
 2) the exact (please cut-and-paste it) command you were using
    that produced the error
 3) the exact (again, please cut-and-paste) error message

thanks,
Ed

Refs:
  http://mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node90.html