[MITgcm-support] advection scheme for T/S

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Mon Sep 20 02:47:35 EDT 2004

Samar,

my experience with DST3 and the flux limited 2nd order scheme (77) is
similar. Starting from a stable stratification with some noise to start
an eddy field in zonal channel with zonal wind forcing and meridional
buoyancy flux gradient, I get a solution, in which the isopycnal slowly
rise and out-crop according to wind and buoyancy forcing, when I use
the default 2n order scheme (2). With DST3 with flux limiting (33) and
2n order with flux limiting (77), the first thing that happens is that
the channel gets homogenized vertically and then the expected solution
starts to develop. But of course, because of the initial mixing, the
steady state is very different from the case with the default advection
scheme. I have refrained from using 33 or 77 for temperature and
salinity since. (o:

Martin