[MITgcm-support] OBCS

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Mon Sep 20 02:38:22 EDT 2004

Hi,
now the obcs-package has got me. In the global_ocean.90x40x15
experiment, I would like to introduce open boundaries in the south
and/or north to emulate polar regions. Now the simplest and dirtiest
way to do it would be through restoring in external_forcing. But I want
to do it the hard and clean way and use the obcs package (o: A few
questions arise:
1) as a general rule/how-to I start by modifying obcs_calc, so that
after calling obcs_calc, the boundary values at time myTime+deltaT are
known. Why myTime+deltaT, why not the current time=myTime?
2) ALLOW_OBCS_SPONGE: Is there code for sponge layers, or am I
completely responsible for it myself (subroutine obcs_sponge_u/v/t/s)?
As far as I know, a sponge layer is not much more than a restoring
zone, correct? If I use a sponge layer (#define ALLOW_OBCS_SPONGE),
will I still have an open boundary? Or in other words: just having
restoring in external_forcing.F is not the same as ALLOW_OBCS_SPONGE
and do the restoring somewhere in obcs_sponge_u/v/t/s, etc? It seems
so.
3) not quite OBCS, but related. I want to read my open boundary values
from a file (in calc_obcs), so I have to create code for that, fair
enough; but because I only want to read one xz-slice, for example,
(there is even an MDSIOREADFIELDXZ, impressive), I have a problem with
exchanging the xz-slice, or did I just not find the excange_xz_r? file?
Does anyone have experience with this?