[MITgcm-support] RE: smag

Alistair Adcroft adcroft at MIT.EDU
Thu May 27 10:39:31 EDT 2004

The scheme is due to Leith, not Smagorinsky.

I wasn't referring to cube tile edge but physical boundaries - the no-slip
condition does not use the new variable viscosity (yet). It shouldn't matter
in your calculations with real coasts...

You turn it on by setting
  vectorInvariantMomentum=.TRUE.
  viscAh=0
  viscAhMax=unset (should be 1.D21 by default)
  viscAhGrid=0
  viscC2Leith=0
  viscA4=0 (or small background, prefer not)
  viscA4Max=something sensible (i.e. whatever you were able to run with
before as an upper limit)
  viscA4Grid=0 (or small background, prefer not)
  viscC2Leith=1.

Setting viscA4Max is only a safety feature - you should be able to leave it
unset (but not zero).

The last parameter is non-dimensional and I was able to get it as large as
1.7 in a 2D decaying turbulence test last night. I suspect this will be
application dependent.
The viscosity goes like

   Ah = C2 |grad zeta| dx^3
   A4 = C4 |grad zeta| dx^5

A4 scales like   C4 U dx^5/L^2   or   C4 Ro f/L dx^5

Procedure: find largest stable value for C4, find smallest stable value. Use
a value nearer the lower limit.

A.
--
Dr Alistair Adcroft            http://www.mit.edu/~adcroft
MIT Climate Modeling Initiative        tel: (617) 253-5938