[MITgcm-support] mdsio

Sergio Jaramillo sju at eos.ubc.ca
Tue May 4 12:43:16 EDT 2004

Hi Ed,

I just updated mdsio_readfield.F and compiled again, but I have this message:

pgf77   -c mdsio_readfield.f
PGFTN-S-0038-Symbol, code, has not been explicitly declared (EESUPPORT.h: 12)
PGFTN-W-0025-Illegal character (|) - ignored (EESUPPORT.h: 12)
PGFTN-S-0141-RECORD required on left of . (EESUPPORT.h: 12)
PGFTN-S-0034-Syntax error at or near end of line (EESUPPORT.h: 12)
  0 inform,   1 warnings,   3 severes, 0 fatal for mdsreadfield
PGFTN-S-0021-Label field of continuation line is not blank ( : 488)
PGFTN-S-0038-Symbol, local, has not been explicitly declared ( : 496)
  0 inform,   0 warnings,   2 severes, 0 fatal for passtors
PGFTN-S-0021-Label field of continuation line is not blank ( : 508)
PGFTN-S-0038-Symbol, local, has not been explicitly declared ( : 516)
  0 inform,   0 warnings,   2 severes, 0 fatal for passtorl
PGFTN/x86 Linux/x86 4.0-2: compilation completed with severe errors
make: *** [mdsio_readfield.o] Error 2

I also customized an optional file for g77+mpi, and that compilation doesn't give me any errors, and I noted that when I run genmake2 for pgf77 I get this:

===  Checking system libraries  ===
  Do we have the system() command using pgf77...  yes
  Do we have the fdate() command using pgf77...  no
  Can we call simple C routines (here, "cloc()") using pgf77...  no
  Can we create NetCDF-enabled binaries...  genmake_tnc.for:2:22: netcdf.inc: No suc
h file or directory
genmake_tnc.for:2:22: netcdf.inc: No such file or directory
cat: genmake_tnc.log: No such file or directory
no

However when I run it for g77 the first three questions are answered as "yes"

Thanks again,

Sergio Jaramillo
UBC

Hi Sergio,

The error is that some combinations of CPP and Fortran compilers will
fail when the comments contain an odd number of quote ("'") characters.

I just talked to Andy (who checked in the problem) and he has just
finished checking in a fix.  So if you get the latest mdsio_readfield.f
(v1.17 from CVS), you should be all set.

Please let us know if you run into any more problems!

Ed

ps - I have an awk script that does a lint-like check for these
     sorts of problems and we should run it on a daily basis.
     I'll add that to my to-do list...

-- Edward H. Hill III, PhD office: MIT Dept. of EAPS; Rm 54-1424; 77
Massachusetts Ave. Cambridge, MA 02139-4307 emails: eh3 at mit.edu
ed at eh3.com URLs: http://web.mit.edu/eh3/ http://eh3.com/ phone:
617-253-0098 fax: 617-253-4464