[MITgcm-support] Query ?

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Tue Jun 1 03:11:17 EDT 2004

Amitabh,

the output files with the suffix *.data are binary IEEE big endian, the
*.meta files are text (ascii) files that contain information on the
size of the array and the length of the records in the *.data file. The
number are time step numbers and mark the (model) time, when the files
were written.

So, as an example, U.0000012345.001.001.meta contains information on
U.0000012345.001.001.data. The 001.001 denote the tiles, relevant for
domain decomposition, for example, in a run with MPI.

There are matlab-files in utils/matlab that uses the information to
read the data into matlab. I assume that GrADs can handle binary data
as well, but I have never worked with GrADs. Maybe I should start
sometime (o:

Please have a look at the documentation at
http://mitgcm.org
specifically section 3.6, 3.6.1, and 3.6.2:
http://mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node94.html

Regards,
Martin