[MITgcm-support] problem running on OS X

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Jul 27 16:40:57 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 15:48, samar khatiwala wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been having trouble running the model on a G4 Mac
> (details below).
> Its running OS 10.3.4 + absoft compiler and I've never had
> problems running the model before. Perhaps someone has a
> solution.

Hi Samar,

We're currently Mac-less but hope to get one for testing purposes.  If
you had one that we could SSH into, that would be *very* helpful.  It
would make it a lot easier to keep our Mac build up-to-date!

I don't know what happening with the "heading out of bounds" problem so
maybe someone else can help out with that...?

> There are several trivial solutions to this, but it would be
> nice if the darwin_absoft build options file had
> /usr/X11R6/bin/makedepend hardwired in it.

Thats very easy to fix!  Just add:

  MAKEDEPEND='/usr/X11R6/bin/makedepend'

to your optfile.

> And another thing: genmake2 checks for the existence of fdate, system,
> etc. On my Mac this returns a 'no' for all. However, this is not
> right. libU77.a does contain all these routines, so they are in fact
> available.

Thank you for the bug report.  The problem is getting the compiler name
mangling right.  And again, if we had access to a Mac with an Absoft
compiler, it'd be a lot easier to get these features working!

So is there any chance you could help out with Mac access?

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307