[MITgcm-support] Comparison of advection schemes

Alistair Adcroft adcroft at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 22 14:40:27 EDT 2004

Did you see the section "2.18 Comparison of advection schemes" in the user
manual:

  http://mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node81.html

You can add horizontal harmonic/bi-harmonic diffusion using the parameters
diffKhT, diffK4T in PARM01 in the parameter file "data". Only harmonic
diffusion is implemented in the vertical (diffKrT).

A.
-----Original Message-----
From: mitgcm-support-bounces at mitgcm.org
[mailto:mitgcm-support-bounces at mitgcm.org] On Behalf Of Sergio Jaramillo
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 2:15 PM
To: mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org
Subject: [MITgcm-support] Comparison of advection schemes

Hi all,

I am trying to understand the effects of the choice of advection scheme
on the tracer field evolution in a laboratory tank. I see that if I use
some advection schemes (e.g. centered fourth order) I need some finite
amount of diffusion, but I don't know how to introduce it in the model
(let alone how to pick the right value), as in the laboratory I don't
have turbulence, and  I am somewhat apprehensive about using bi-harmonic
diffusion. Perhaps someone could give me a hint on this? Or recommend me
some references I should read to understand better the current advection
schemes available in MITgcm?

Many thanks,

Sergio Jaramillo