[MITgcm-support] consult

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Mon Jan 5 04:47:20 EST 2004

Hi,

in case no-one has given you an answer:
Please change your monitorFreq=1.0 and then have a look at the standard
output. You'll find, that the parameters dynstat_advcfl_uVel/vVel/wVel
(probably wVel) will become large even before rhsMax. My guess is that
you are violating the CFL (Courant-Friedrich-Levy, spelling?) stability
criterion, when you decrease the delX/Y/Z. The CFL criterion is a very
basic stability criterion, so to speak the necessary condition for
numerical stability in any explicit time stepping scheme, and says that
u*deltaT/delX (and  v*deltaT/delY and w*deltaT/delZ) must be smaller
that .5 or so. So that means you'll have to decrease your time step
until this criterion is satified. Start with a small value for deltaT,
say 10.0 seconds, and then increase it just to the point where it
explodes again.

Good luck,
Martin