[MITgcm-support] Information on modules in howto?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Feb 15 21:59:39 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-15 at 16:43, Chris Hill wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
>  Hows things?

Good!

>  I was looking for some information on what CVS modules should work. I can
> get
>  cvs co -d HEAD MITgcm_r1_src_only
>  to work. But
>  cvs co -d HEAD MITgcm_code
>  gives me errors.
>
>  Are there any notes on what should work and what syntax is needed?

The CVS "-d dirname" renaming option cannot be used with the aliases as
currently configured.  This is a limitation of CVS and, with the three
check-ins that I just made, at least it is well-documented in both the
web pages:

  http://mitgcm.org/using_cvs.html

and in the manual:

  http://mitgcm.org/pelican/online_documents/node85.html

I realize that its an inconvenience (sorry!), but using two commands

  $  cvs co MITgcm_verif_basic
  $  mv MITgcm MITgcm_verif_basic

to accomplish the re-name isn't that bad.

Ed

ps - CVS is less than ideal.  It would be so nice if we could have the
bk-style "clone" functionality for those times when we're on the road
and can't get a good 'net connection to access the repository.  I'll see
what the state of the bk-to-CVS gateway is.

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com