[MITgcm-support] netcdf for fedora core2

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Dec 20 13:48:19 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 13:41 -0500, sol stephane wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> I just installed the Fedora core 2 linux on a new Dell computer. I was
> trying to install netcdf in order to run the mapping program GMT.
> Unfortunately, I am getting an error. I installed Netcdf on other
> machines with Redhat without any problem. Here is the message that I am
> getting.

Hi Stephane,

It looks like you're using FC3.  Is that true?  If so, I recommend that
you install NetCDF with the following RPMs:
 http://mitgcm.org/eh3/packages/FC3/netcdf-3.6.0beta6-0.fdr.2.i386.rpm
http://mitgcm.org/eh3/packages/FC3/netcdf-
devel-3.6.0beta6-0.fdr.2.i386.rpm

which have been built for FC3 and are headed into the Fedora Extras
repository.

If you want to build NetCDF from source and avoid the RPMs then I
recommend that you use 'g77' instead of 'gfortran' which you can do
using:

  $ cd /home/sol/LOGICIEL/netcdf-3.6.0/src
  $ export FC=g77
  $ ./configure --prefix=/your/install/dir
  $ make

and which is similar to whats done inside the RPM.

And I'll update the RPMs to use the final release of NetCDF 3.6.0 as
soon as I get a few free moments.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD