[MITgcm-support] OBCS for deep sewage water source

cimatori at libero.it cimatori at libero.it
Mon Dec 13 10:14:58 EST 2004

Hi Martin, some time ago we wrote about this case: we are trying to model the diffusion of a deep
source of wastewater in a semi-enclosed basin (gulf of Trieste, northern Adriatic) using obcs
prescribe to attain the effect of lighter water, ptracers (for modeling the polluttant) and exf. We
use a western obcs at the open side of the gulf (we tried both Orlanski and sponge (nudging) layer)
and tried to use an eastern boundary for the sewage source. This source is a diffuser offshore on
the seabed, so we need to prescribe the boundary values only at a particular level (15) leaving the
rest of the column without any constraint.
This works only if we use a closed domain (without any kind of western open boundary): we see a
plume of lighter water wich follows the wind-driven currents.
When we open the western boundary we obtain irrealistic velocity fields on the column above the
diffuser.
We corrected the routines (see attachments) making some improvements but the main problem
remains.
The problem lies in the use of another open boundary together with the one in the middle of the
domain (we are going to try using northern or southern obcs instead of eastern for the source:
maybe it could be a C-grid problem?).
We will check again the source code (expecially our modifications), but, of course, any further
suggestion is welcome!
Thanks!
Andrea

PS: the passive tracer with obcs seems to give sensible results, at least qualitatively, without
using the deep source of light water (using only ptracer forcing). See image attached.

Libero ADSL: 3 mesi gratis e navighi a 1.2 Mega, senza costi di attivazione.
Abbonati subito su http://www.libero.it