[MITgcm-support] Re: heat fluxes and density

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Wed Dec 1 09:46:35 EST 2004

Dan,
On Nov 30, 2004, at 11:03 AM, Dan Conipo wrote:

>  Thanks, the density code is perfect.
>
>  I am using a old version as "inheritance". I'm scared to change with
> the new one if I have to modify also my data files and input files.
Unless your version is very different from the "standard"-checkpoint39
(check with cvs diff), you will probably not have to change any of your
input files (pickups do need a little attention, you need to set a flag
in the data file, to let the model know that the pickup is
pre-checkpoint???). The data files and configuration files (the way
CPP-flags are handled) will need some modification. But it's not that
hard. I would still recommend used a later version of the code.
checkpoint56 would be a good start.

> About the fluxes, I didn't explain correctly. I don't want to diagnose
> the heat fluxes but I'd like to use them like restoring parameter
> instead of the SST. so the question was "how can I compute them from
> my input SST? how to use Q like input?
I am still not sure what you are trying to do:
Do you want to use heat flux instead of SST restoring? That's simple to
do, and you can find an example how heat flux AND SST  restoring are
applied in the global_ocean.90x40x15 verification experiment. Turn off
SST restoring by setting tauThetaClimRelax to zero.
Or do you want to specify surface air temperatures and compute heat
fluxes from that? There are two sets of bulk formulae, one is called
bulk_force, the other is part of the exf (external forcing) package. An
example of the latter is in the lab_sea verification experiment (you
need to use the calendar package cal along with it, when I tried it
first it was a hard start, but now I really appreciate these two
packages).

Hope that helps,