[MITgcm-support] phihydlow formula

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Tue Aug 17 03:01:09 EDT 2004

Benny,
the formulae are all in the documentation, so equation 1.32 on that
page is it. As I wrote in my previous email to the other thread, for
height coordinates, b in 1.32 is the scaled density g\rho/\rho_{0}. In
the code it's actually the scale density anomaly, as Dimitris pointed
out: g(\rho-\rho_{0})/\rho_{0}, so the phiHyd and phiHydLow is the
corresponding pressure anomaly scaled by \rho_{0}. If you compute the
full bottom pressure (including the g\rho_{0}H contribution), then you
won't see much except topography. Because topography (=depth) dominates
the bottom pressure, it really only makes sense to look at fluctuations
of bottom pressure. and for those the choice of \rho_{0} (=rhoConst in
data) is irrelevant.

There is a paper by John Marshall which also should have all the
formulae:
Marshall, J. A. Adcroft, J-M Campin and  C. Hill (2004)
  Atmosphere-ocean modeling exploiting fluid isomorphisms. submitted to
Monthly Weather Review. You can download a preprint from
http://paoc.mit.edu/paoc/marshall/latest_papers.htm
Also in Losch etal 2004 JPO 34(1), pp 306-319, we describe the
ismorphism and all equations in detail in the appendix (in particulare
Eq A23 and the following text). Appendix C describes the discretization
issue I was alluding to earlier. If you don't have access to JPO, you
can download a preprint from
http://mitgcm.org/~mlosch/nonbouss_pp.pdf

Good luck,
Martin