[MITgcm-support] Restarting the MITgcm

Uli Riemenschneider uriemenschneider at whoi.edu
Tue Aug 10 10:06:28 EDT 2004

Hi Martin,

thanks for the reply. I followed your instructions, but somehow it is
still not working. In file STDERR.0003 I find the following error message:

(PID.TID 0003.0001) *** ERROR *** MDSREADFIELD: File does not exist

I am not even sure what file it is referring too here? Any idea?
I am running the model on multiple processors, does that make a
difference to the restart procedure?

Thanks for the help!
Ciao
Uli

Martin Losch wrote:
> Uli,
>
> there are two run-time flags in data namelist PARM03:
> chkptFreq and pChkptFreq, the latter sets the frequency for permanent
> checkpoint/restart files (they have the correct time step number already
> in their file name), the former the frequency for the rolling
> checkpoint/restart files (with ckptA,ckptB in their names).
>
> The rolling checkpoints files alternatively are overwritten at a new
> checkpoint. So if your chkptFreq = 5h, then after 5h
> pickup.ckptA.001.001.data/meta are written, after 10h
> pickup.ckptB.001.001.data/meta, and after 15h ckptA is overwritten, then
> after 20h ckptB is overwritten, etc. That means that ckptA is NOT always
> the latest checkpoint file, only half of the time (Dear code czars, I
> hope that this is correct).
>
>  If you want to restart from, say, ckptA, you have to rename
> pickup.ckptA.001.001.data to pickup.0000004800.001.001.data (don't
> forget the *.data) and set iter0 or starttime appropriately, as you have
> done. In case there are some other pickup_*.ckptA.001.001.data files,
> they have to be renamed, too.
>
> I would however recommend for the future, that if you know for how long
> you can and want to run your experiement and from where you want to
> restart it, set
> chkptFreq=0.0, (to turn off rolling checkpoints)
> pChkptFreq=whatever this time is in seconds (for permanent checkpoint
> files)
>
> If you still have problems, have a look at the standard-output and this
> will tell you which restart files are not found (just to make sure that
> this is not the problem: for the restart you'll also need all data files
> that you used for the run that lead to the restart file).
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Martin
>

>> Hello again,
>>
>> I have started taking the MIT model through some longer runs and have
>> tried to restart them to safe time, but so far unsuccessfully.
>>
>> The runs produce two types of pickup files: pickup.ckptA.data and
>> pickup.chptB.data. I figured out that the 'A' file is a collection of
>> the data after the final time step and I am assuming the 'B' file is
>> from some time step before that.
>>
>> I have tried renaming pickup.ckptA.data to pickup.000004800 and set
>> nIter0 to 4800 to start the model at this point, but it aborts almost
>> immediately.
>>
>> What do I need to do to get it going successfully?!
>> Thanks,
>> Uli
>
> Martin Losch // mailto:mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
> Alfred-Wegener-Institut für Polar- und Meeresforschung
> Postfach 120161, 27515 Bremerhaven, Germany
> Tel./Fax: ++49(471)4831-1872/1797
> http://www.awi-bremerhaven.de/People/show?mlosch

Ulrike Riemenschneider,  Postdoctoral Investigator
Physical Oceanography Dept. MS #21
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Woods Hole, MA 02543, USA

Phone: (+1) 508 289 2916 Fax: (+1) 508 457 2181