[MITgcm-support] problem running on OS X

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Aug 4 11:34:49 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 11:08, samar khatiwala wrote:
> Chris, thanks! That was indeed the problem. But it took me 3 cvs co
> attempts to get a fully functional installation.
>
> This appears not to be a problem with cvs on my Mac since I get similar
> behavior on a Linux box. For instance 'checkpoint53' would not appear at
> the beginning of the output. Even worse, the first time I checked out
> c53 (last week) on the Linux machine it would not even compile because the
> monitor pkg had not been checked out! Anyway, after several attempts I now
> seem to have a full installation on the Linux box too. Never had
> such problems before.
>
> I don't really know how cvs works to tell if this is a problem with my
> clients or your server. (Would be funny though to get the same problem
> on two different platforms.) For instance, when does cvs replace $ tags?
> Is it done by the server or the clients? For some reason $Name is not
> being correctly replaced in eeintro_msg.F.

Hi Samar,

This is just a wild guess, but perhaps its a networking problem (timing
out?) rather than a CVS problem.  We have recently upgraded our CVS
server to the latest (in Fedora Core 2) due to CVS security problems.
So you might also want to check which CVS versions you are using.

If it helps, we'll be happy to keep recent checkpoints as .tar.gz files
at the location pointed to on our web site:

  http://mitgcm.org/download/

so that you can skip the whole CVS download procedure.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307