[MITgcm-support] geostrophic velocity in the model

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 15 13:49:34 EDT 2004

Does anyone know what is best way to diagnose the geostrophic component
of velocity from the model.

Specifically, should we assume that sea-surface height contains
the least amount of ageostrophic contributions and reference
everything to ETA.

Or is it preferable to pick mid-depth U/V as a reference.

Or is there a better way?

We are looking at North Pacific (~200E, 30N) and 10daily to monthly
data.

Dimitris
Sab
--
Dimitris Menemenlis <menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov>
Jet Propulsion Lab, California Insitute of Technology