[MITgcm-support] Parallel run using genmake

Ed Hill eh3 at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 8 17:27:02 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 17:07, Sergio Jaramillo wrote:
> Dear MITgcm support,
>
> I have been using MITgcm in a single processor compiling the code with
> genmake. Now , I want to try the parallel run, and I don't know if the
> information available in  the documentation "3.5.2 Using genmake2",
> and "3.5.3 Building with MPI" is still valid if I use genmake instead
> of genmake2. Should I get genmake2? will it change the things too much
> for me? I try not to change many things as my run is finally doing
> very well, and I don't want to screw it.

Hi Sergio,

If you're using genmake, then you're using a somewhat older version of
the code.  And thats not a serious problem with respect to MPI.  Older
versions of the code (with genmake) and newer ones (with genmake2) both
support MPI builds.

For the older genmake, you may (or may not) need to edit the genmake
script itself to add or modify the MPI build options.  This is a
limitation inherent with the older genmake script.

For the newer genmake2, you should only have to edit or create a new
options file (or "optfile").  There are numerous examples located in

  MITgcm/tools/build_options

that you can adapt to your particular machine.

I prefer genmake2 but will try to help you with either approach--just
email your specific questions to this list or call me at my office
number below.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com
phone:   617-253-0098
fax:     617-253-4464