[MITgcm-support] advection of passive AND active tracers

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Mon Sep 22 09:01:50 EDT 2003

Hi once more,

because I am alwayes 6 hours ahead of you (o:, (and because this
problem was really burning under my fingernails), I impatiently found
the problem with turning off the tracer advection:
with temp/saltAdvection=.false. the routine gad_advection where gTracer
is reset, or equivalently in gad_calc_rhs gTracer is not reset, so that
gTracer accumulates tracer+deltat*gTracer, which of course make the
model blow up.

Remedy:
In thermodynamics one could move
            gT(i,j,k,bi,bj)   = 0. _d 0
            gS(i,j,k,bi,bj)   = 0. _d 0
out of the #ifdef ALLOW_AUTODIFF_TAMC block
The same for gPtr, but here one has to include PTRACERS.h as well (also
in a ALLOW_AUTODIFF_TAMC block).

I won't check this in, because appearently nobody ever turn off the
advection, but maybe that something to keep in mind the next time
thermodynamics is updated.

Martin