[MITgcm-support] advection in the ptracers package

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Fri Sep 19 03:09:45 EDT 2003

Hi there,

I'm digging through the advection code, and it's very confusing. I am
looking for a simple way of including a runtime flag, that turns
advection of ptracers on and off, in the same manner it's done for
theta and salt (tempAdvection, saltAdvection). Where do I have to make
modifications? This is what I thought:

in PTRACERS_INTEGRATE:
replace
calcAdvection=.not.multiDimAdvection ....
with
calcAdvection=pTracersAdvection.AND..NOT.multiDimAdvection ...
and then
call GAD_CALC_RHS

and in PTRACERS_ADVECTION:
include
if (pTracersAdvection.AND.multiDimAdvection) then
call GAD_ADVECTION

Will that work safely?
Martin

Martin Losch // mailto:mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Alfred-Wegener-Institut für Polar- und Meeresforschung
Postfach 120161, 27515 Bremerhaven, Germany
Tel./Fax: ++49(471)4831-1872