[MITgcm-support] KPP blues

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Fri Oct 24 08:20:09 EDT 2003

Hi there,

remember my ptracer problem? Well, I could trace it down to .... KPP
(what else). Apparently, in my setup KPP produces boundary layer
depths, vertical viscosities and diffusivities with a strong
checkerboard structure (but only where KPP is active). T and S get
mixed and vertically (and by advection horizontally) homogenized over
time so that there is little visible effect, because there is only
mixing of similar values. But the biological tracers react on short
timescales and thereby retain the checkerboard structure, but you are
probably not interested in my biology model.

However, the KPP checkerboard structure is a problem that I would like
to solve. It only appears for high vertical resolution (6 to 40 m in
the upper 180 m). When I decrease the vertical resolution to 20-30m in
the upper 180 m this problem goes away! (Now this is  completely
independent of any biology!). I have to admit, that my vertical grid
spacing in the case of high resolution increases dramatically (but
smoothly) below 180 m, but can that be the problem? Here is my delR:
delR = 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 7, 7, 9, 11, 16, 25, 41,
67, 106, 153, 200, 239, 265, 281, 290, 295, 297, 299, 299, 300, 300,
300, 300, 300, 300, 300, 300,

Apart from changing the vertical resolution, what can I do? Is it
possible to change KPP-parameters to achieve a more stable behavior of
KPP? Are there any limits with respect to KPP, comparable to a CFL
criterium (which, by the way, is alway OK in my setup) that I did not
obey? Any ideas?

Martin

PS. I can remember that when I turned on KPP in global_ocean.90x40x15
(a few months ago), it made the model blow up very quickly, with a nice
checkerboard pattern of everything in the Southern Ocean. Maybe this is
related?

Martin Losch // mailto:mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Alfred-Wegener-Institut für Polar- und Meeresforschung
Postfach 120161, 27515 Bremerhaven, Germany
Tel./Fax: ++49(471)4831-1872
http://www.awi-bremerhaven.de/People/show?mlosch