[MITgcm-support] Re: [Fwd: grid-scale noise in 1/4-deg model]

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Tue Nov 25 02:51:18 EST 2003

Hello everyone,

the KPP-related grid-scale noise problems I had have been resolved:
There was a problem in find_alpha/find_beta (thermal expansion, saline
contraction coefficients) with the "new" equation of state MDJWF
(McDougall etal 2003). alpha and beta were wrong by orders of magnitude
which caused KPP to mix the entire watercolumn almost everywhere with
subsequent crash of the model. The problem is fixed and I use the
default KPP-parameters.

But I have a humble suggestion for the grid scale noise:
boundary layer width (Munk layer) = \pi(A_h/\beta)^{1/3} =
3.1427*(200/2e-11)^{1/3} = 3.1427*20km=60km,
for biharmonic friction I have
pi(B_h/\beta)^{1/3}=3.1427(1e10/2e-11)^{1/5} = 3.1427*14km = 43km;
and you resolution is approximately 30 km, so even if you take into
account the additional factor pi (which not everyone does) you barely
resolve the boundary layer. You seem to have one along the African
coast.

I don't know if that's relevant for the areas that you have plotted,
but I would think that your horizontal friction is indeed too small, so
that the boundary layers are to thin to be resolved by your grid. I use
viscAh=1e11/diffK4T=1e11 and in the vertical viscAr=1e-3/diffKrT=1e-5
for  a channel with 25km horizontal resolution, to make it stable with
the default advection scheme (central differences = #2). The CD-scheme
adds additional viscosity, so that could fix it, if I am right.

Hope that helps,
Martin