[MITgcm-support] convertEmP2rUnit

Alistair Adcroft adcroft at MIT.EDU
Fri Nov 14 09:20:57 EST 2003

I think the next time I hear about horizVertRatio I'll scream; your point is
well taken that a consistent conversion is necessary and some flexibility
and intellegence on the models part is necessary. However, horizVertRatio is
a historical left-over from the strictly p-coordiante days which I wanted to
eliminate when I first implemented r-coordinates but some cry babies cried;
it is currently a proxy for dr/dz and this is exactly the factor you are
looking for when converting FW to r-dot. Yet another thing to flag for tidy
up.

A.
--
Dr Alistair Adcroft            http://www.mit.edu/~adcroft
MIT Climate Modeling Initiative        tel: (617) 253-5938
EAPS 54-1523,  77 Massachusetts Ave,  Cambridge,  MA,  USA

-----Original Message-----
From: mitgcm-support-bounces at mitgcm.org
[mailto:mitgcm-support-bounces at mitgcm.org] On Behalf Of Jean-Michel Campin
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 7:45 PM
To: mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Cc: mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org
Subject: [MITgcm-support] convertEmP2rUnit

Hi Martin,

I think that convertEmP2rUnit should be:
 convertEmP2rUnit = rhoConstFresh*recip_rhoConst*horiVertRatio
and not:
 =1. [if ocean-Z]
 =rhoConstFresh*Gravity [if ocean-P]
as it is now.

The result is the same for ocean-P since horiVertRatio=rhoConst*Gravity in
this case (and horiVertRatio=1 in ocean-Z).

My point is:
if we think that a different rhoConst for Fresh water
is needed in the ocean-P, then it seems logical to have the same ability in
ocean-Z.

The reason why I ask this is that I started to use rhoConstFresh
for the density of the fresh water with sea-ice component
and with atmospheric model, and cannot reach a perfect
conservation unless I set rhoConstFresh=rhoConst, simply because presently
convertEmP2rUnit=1. whatever rhoConstFresh/rhoConst is.

What do you think ?

Jean-Michel