[MITgcm-support] Coriolis terms

Sergio Jaramillo sju at eos.ubc.ca
Thu Nov 6 21:49:04 EST 2003

Hi,

I am trying to check MITgcm results against a physical  model in a
rotating table.  I am using curvilinear polar coordinates for this. For
an initial run I didn't change touched the coriolis parameter, so the
model assumed that I was using "useSphereF", but the results were
obviously wrong. When I realized this I changed the code in ini_parms.F
to set the coriolis parameter constant for all the grid points, like this:

  IF ( usingCurvilinearGrid ) THEN
c       useSphereF    = .TRUE.
	useSphereF    = .FALSE.
       	useConstantF=.TRUE.

Now the results seem ok, but the model becomes unstable a few time steps
after the forcing stops. I tried to keep track of the use of the
coriolis terms in the code , but I am a bit lost.
I don't know if updating my code will help in this problem, I see in the
web site that there are some differences in  in the new versions of the
files that deal with coriolis terms. By the way I am using version 1.2.

I hope anyone can help me with this, and point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Sergio Jaramillo