[MITgcm-support] CVS problem

Ed Hill eh3 at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 24 15:02:18 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 13:23, Alistair Adcroft wrote:
> Someone moved gcmpack to /u/u3 and it's not mounted on forge.lcs.mit.edu.
>
> Why did it move and not have the entry in /u updated?

Sorry, I've updated all the /u/u[0-3]/gcmpack links on auden so that all
of the following now work:

  setenv CVSROOT :ext:mitgcm.org:/u/u0/gcmpack
  setenv CVSROOT :ext:mitgcm.org:/usr/local/gcmpack
  setenv CVSROOT :ext:auden.lcs.mit.edu:/u/u0/gcmpack
  etc...

And in response to Alistair's earlier email, Jamie, Greg, and I spent
quite a bit of time trying to get /u/u3 to mount on forge (and baldwin)
and were not successful.  The problem seems to have something to do with
different NFS clients and the fact that auden:/usr/local is *actually*
(physically) located within auden:/u/u3/local.  Since those same clients
have been able to mount auden:/usr/local, I've moved things into
/u/u3/local and created soft-links.

FUTURE WORK:  The next time maintenance is done on auden, I think we
should be careful not to re-export overlapping portions of file
systems.  Either one of the /usr/local and /u/u3/ exports should be
removed or they should be mounted on physically different
(non-overlapping) file systems.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com
phone:   617-253-0098
fax:     617-253-4464