[MITgcm-support] [ mitgcm-Feature Requests-1 ] MDSIO output redriection

noreply at dev.mitgcm.org noreply at dev.mitgcm.org
Fri Jul 18 09:33:17 EDT 2003

You can respond by visiting:
http://dev.mitgcm.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=108&aid=1&group_id=6

>Category: Code development
Group: None

Initial Comment:
A feature is needed that provides more flexibility in
controlling path names for I/O. In particular

 ECCO uses temporary subdirectories for adjoint time
history files.

 Helen needs to be able to cycle over duplicate I/O
roots for large inout datasets to provide high-speed
I/O.

 For high frequency I/O (such as used for generating
offline fields) it is useful to be able to put I/O
into different directories based on iteration number.

 Two thoughts on possible general purpose
implementations are

 1. stuff using links in pre run scripts (yuck)

 2. enhance mdsio to include an output redirection
mechanism that means that mdsio file opens will
redirect output based on pattern matching rules. For
example a rule that says files of name "adj*" go to a
certain directory pathname could be specified. The
rules could be specified in a "data.mdsio" input file
containing "pattern pathname" pairs. The C regexp
parser could be called to determine matches (maybe??).

 Otherwise a less general solution could be done for
now.

Chris

Comment By: Alistair Adcroft (adcroft)