[Mitgcm-support] MITgcm software compiling problem

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:52:17 EDT 2003

Dear Sir/Madam:

I have been trying to compile the MITgcm software on a IBM Power2 machine
running AIX4.3. I failed to compile it because of Undefined symbol etime
and cloc. In the genmake, there is no settings for IBM AIX, but it has the
settings for -platform=SP3 which should work for AIX + Power3.

According to the settings for SP3, I added machine setup corresponding to a
IBM AIX POWER2 machine into Platform specific options as follow:
  case AIX*:
    echo "Configuring for IBM SP POWER2"
    set SOURCEDIRS  = ( ./ $SOURCEDIRS )
    set LN         = ( 'ln -s' )
    set DEFINES    = ( ${DEFINES} '-DTARGET_PWR2 DWORDLENGTH=4' )
    set CPP        = ( '/lib/cpp' )
    set FC         = ( 'xlf95_r' )
    set LINK       = ( 'xlf95_r' )
    set FLAGS      = ( '-O2 -qmaxmem=-1' \
                           '-bmaxdata:0x80000000 -bloadmap:mitgcmuv.map' )
    set FFLAGS     = ( '-qfixed=132 -O2 -qmaxmem=-1' \
                           '-bmaxdata:0x80000000 ' )
    set LDFLAGS    = ( '-O2 -qmaxmem=-1' \
                           '-bmaxdata:0x80000000' )
    set RMFILES    = ( 'rii_files' )
    breaksw

I got error of Undefined symbol: .etime and  .cloc in the last step of
compiling. The error message is as follow:

ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .etime
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .cloc
ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more
information.
make: *** [mitgcmuv] Error 8

Using -bnoquiet option, I got the error message as follow:
ld: 0711-318 ERROR: Undefined symbols were found.
        The following symbols are in error:
 Symbol                    Inpndx  TY CL Source-File(Object-File) OR
Import-File{Shared-object}
                              RLD: Address  Section  Rld-type Referencing
Symbol

 .etime                    [140]   ER PR timers.f(timers.o)
                                   00000024 .text    R_RBR    [128]
.timer_get_time
 .cloc                     [142]   ER PR timers.f(timers.o)
                                   00000054 .text    R_RBR    [128]
.timer_get_time
ER: The return code is 8.
make: *** [mitgcmuv] Error 8

I have tried to use different options and compilers, the same problems
happens. I have sent a couple of e-mails to you, and have not got reply
since last Thursday afternoon I met this problem. On last Thursday morning,
Mr. Chris Hill replied me an e-mail for problem that Entity wordlength has
undefined type and mentioned that MITgcm should work on Power2 machine but
he was not sure what options are needed to compile.

How do you think about this problem?Let me know your ideas and suggestions
to fix this compiling problem.

On the other hand, I have figured out the compiling settings for a IBM
PowerPC, though the original settings for SP3 do not work. On a PowerPC
machine, I have successfully compiled the software and run it.Also I can
visualize some output in Matlab.

Thank you very much for your help. Your assistance is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Honggao Liu, Ph.D.
Applications Consultant, High Performance Computing
Office of Computing Services
Louisiana State University
Phone: +1 225 578 0235
Email: honggao at lsu.edu