[Mitgcm-support] Re: mitgcm random survey!!!

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:51:48 EDT 2003

Chris,

sorry about the late answer, but currently I am a bit in a rush...
But here my 5c concerning the MITgcm/ECCO release:

I must say at first that I am still working with c24 (together with
packages external forcing and calendar). But for a guest scientist from
Kiel (Rolf Kaese) I have also set up c30 (but without exf/cal).

* I agree with Armin that it is inconvenient to handle the external
forcing as a package. For me this is currently the most important reason
not to switch over to c30. I would have to incorporate the exf by myself
and many errors could happen. For new users it is even troublesome
because they have to handle with different variables that do the same in
both pieces of code, e.g. the restoring coefficients in the origional
MITgcmUv and the exf package.

* We also tried to run the verification experiment "front relax" in c30.
We were sure to incorporate the package gmredi correctly, but it was not
working. It stopped already when reading the namelist.

* A comment to the exf package: I am still working with a former version
of Christian. The latest version seems to be more consistent, but the
splitting of every subroutine in one file is very confusing. I now have
to deal with much more files which is too complex.

* Another question concerning the exf: A few days I wanted to run the
model with daily wind forcing (using the exf) but without any heat or
freshwater forcing. This does not seem to be possible and in the end I
created files containing zero that are applied for heat and freshwater
fluxes.

You see, I only have odds and ends regarding the MITgcmUV and ECCO
releases. But there are several other issues that might affect the
basics in the model, e.g. a significant difference in the solution of
rigid lid and free surface formulation. But this can be discussed better
in person when you are here for the ECCO meeting.

Ciao,
	Arne

--

Dr. Arne Biastoch
Scripps Institution of Oceanography        phone: +1-858-822-3787
MS: 0230                                   email: abiastoch at ucsd.edu
8605 La Jolla Shores Dr.
La Jolla, CA 92093-0230, U.S.A.   http://www.ecco.ucsd.edu/~biastoch